Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 1998 15:57:59 -0500
From:
Debbie Hunton <[log in to unmask]>
OK, maybe a little change in the original topic, but more to the point of
what I'm hearing.  A couple of people have said they've been asked by
non-ferret people, "Don't ferrets bite?" This question often comes from the
experience of petstore ferrets.  My answer to the question is always to
explain that the ferrets in petstores are very young, and are still teething
(just like a puppy or kitten you may buy) and will, of course, try to teethe
(sp?) on you if they can.

I also explain that ferrets have been bred to be hunters and that they have
an instinct to bite down if you pull away.  So, don't pull away when you're
handling a petstore ferret, and it will most likely not bite harder.  (No
flames please, I know it's not *completely* accurate, but it gets the point
across - if you startle the ferret or hurt it to get it to let go, the
situation just gets worse.)

I know from experience that pulling away just causes problems - the first
ferret I ever handled bit my nose (the sensitive part between the nostrils)
and I pulled away - when I did so, it drew a little blood.  My husband told
me the above (he'd had a couple of ferrets before), and I have never again
had a petstore (or any other) ferret draw blood from me.  I know more now,
but still believe in the quality of that advice.

Debbie