Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:15:34 -0500
From:
"Reed, Melinda" <[log in to unmask]>
Hello all!  I am needing advice on my ferret Tigger.  He is a big shy guy,
weighing in at 3.5 pounds, but is really a big fraidy cat.  I have always
been able to get him in the mornings when I go to work to be put in the cage
with a squeaky toy.  I stand at the bottom of the steps and squeak and he
comes and then we play a "can you get me when I streak by you?" game and I
usually get him.

This is becoming more and more difficult.  I think he is becoming immune to
the squeaky toy.  He is ignoring me and not coming and thus, I can't get him
to put him up.  He is so shy that he will not come to my hand for a reward
of a raisin after squeaking.  He is just real shy and he is absolutely not a
cuddler of any kind.  He will let me pick him up when I get him and stroke
him, kiss him and love him, but only if I get lucky.  This is getting to be
a real pain in the mornings.  I always let mine out for morning out time but
now I can't get Tigger.  Does anyone have advice for shy ferrets or really
smart ones?  After I couldn't get him this morning I decided to leave him
out again.  I was just about to go out the door when I heard him in the
bathroom cabinets.  He thought I had left so he was going to explore a few
places with his freedom.  I rushed up the stairs, ran in the bathroom and
tada, he was there.  I got him and said, "I won this morning, you have been
captured".  Maybe he likes this game stuff.  It is really kinda funny, I'm
not mad at him, but I want him in the cage while I am not home.  Lately he
is not playing where I can see him either.  I really think he knows I am
going to work and he could be out all day if not caught so he is also hiding
in the mornings.  Geesh, what a little booger he is.  He is doing the same
thing in the evenings.  He must have a new hiding spot I don't know about.
He was out the other night because I couldn't find him also.  I waited until
all was dark and quiet and of course, I heard him getting a drink of water
in my bedroom so he was captured then.

Tigger is a year old.  He was named Tigger because he was kept in a cage so
long when we brought him home he bounced forever.  I know he could bounce on
his tail if he tried.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Mindy in good 'ol West Virginia with Whiskers, Tiny, Cocoa (Get in the cage
Tigger!) and of course, the one and only famous smart guy Tigger (If you
hide for about an hour, she will not get you and you can stay out all day)