From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 10:26:11 -0500
Got the Compendium from Pam Troutman so that I can photostat it for
inclusion with later state letters to the ones with nebulous replies or
which sent no reply.  Those will got out in February if I have the
additional expected reference I need by then, and if that directory has not
arrived they will then go out shortly after its arrival.  Diane Rogers of
AFA is also following up on some states which have not addressed the issue
and I expect to receive her answers from them for posting here, or to find
that she will post them directly to the FML, with the info I need for the
Morris Animal Foundation coming to me.

Meanwhile, I have received a letter from Minnesota.  Jeff Bender DVM, MS,
State Public Health Veterinarian, Minnesota Department of Health, 7171
Delaware Street Southeast, P.O.Box 9441.  Minneapolis, MN 55440-9441, (612)
623-5000; excerpt including a quote of unknown origin:

"...Currently, the commissioner of health's role in the "evaluation of
animal bite situations is limited to reviewing factual data about the bite
and making recommendations on observing or testing the animal or treating
the individual who was bitten." Any recommendations regarding animal bites
or treatment of individual bitten by animals are based on information put
forth by the Compendium of Animal Rabies Control Committee and the Advisory
Committee on Immunization Practises of the Centers for Disease Control and
Prevention (CDC).  Therefore, recent Compendium recommendations are being
observed once they are published."

Re: ferret waste around plants.  Know that ammonia smell which ferret pots
get?  Ferret waste is very high in nitrogen so even if it might be safe in
other ways (I don't know if it is or not.) you'll still have to watch out
for nitrogen burn, a serious concern for gardeners when nitrogen levels are
too high.  (More is not necessarily better -- often not better, in fact, but
there ARE ways to deal with this danger so break out the books.)

Sukie