From:
Chris Stephenson and Lynn Foster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 21:48:09 -0500
Dear Fellow Members of the FML:

My name is Lynn Foster and I have been on the FML for over two years.  I
wish to address what must appear to be a very confusing issue to other
FMLers about the letters regarding the London rescue.

Mr. Fischer has indicated that he had located homes for 14 of the ferrets
and that is a great bit of news however the problem was to get these poor
creatures to warmth and safety IMMEDIATELY.

Randy and a group from TIFG (Toronto Internet Ferret Group) went on New
Years Day to this hell hole and removed the ferrets to safety.  In
retrospect perhaps it would have been a good idea to coordinate with Mr.
Fischer and have his 14 owners meet with the rescue group at the S.P.C.A.
in London to claim their ferrets but I want to point out that this rescue
had to happen very fast and over the New Years holiday due to inclement
weather (New Years Eve and New Years Day the temperature in the Southern
Ontario area was MINUS 16 degrees celcius with a wind chill that made it
considerably lower and I would direct your attention to Randy's letter of
the previous day which describes the ferrets as being outside in wooden
crates with only hay, and a lot of it wet, to protect them from the
weather).

The ferrets are now safely enscounced in Mississauga, Ontario.  This is only
an two hour drive from the London area and I would expect that any of those
14 prospective owners would be more than welcome at F.A.S.T.  (Ferret Aid
Society of Toronto) and can enjoy selecting their new babies in the warmth
and comfort of the shelter environment.

Manfred, you indicated that you know of other shelter locations in Southern
Ontario so I implore you to please let the FML know so that we can be
building strong networks to support our work.  And Manfred I admire your
statement about starting your own ferret shelter but I can only caution you
that unless you are very well-to-do I fear you will be shocked at the
expense and at how quickly you will be overrun with needy ferrets.  I would
also add that I know Randy Belair and have been to her home/shelter when I
needed help with my sick ferret, Ferris.  I think to imply that Randy has an
EGO is incorrect but she is passionately protective of ferrets and quick to
step in if she sees cruelty to them.  It is so important that we remember
that our purpose is to do what it takes to keep all ferrets safe.

I would conclude with a thought from "Rudy the ferlosopher" (May He Rest In
Peace)

"there are greater lessons that can be learned from ferrets.  These are
attitudes that are sometimes hard to get from adults.  They certainly can
serve well and are taught the best way ...BY EXAMPLE."

Rudy goes on to list some of those attitudes as persistence, creativity,
Joy-of-Life and tolerance of others.  This rescue may not have been the most
professional but it was done with only the best interests at heart and you
cannot fault those who are at least out there trying to make this world a
better place for ferrets.

Lynn