From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 16:17:07 EST
Dear Deb and Manfred:

I am a shelter, and I am deeply saddened by the episode which turned you off
of shelters in general, and Randy's in particular.  I don't know you or
Randy, so I am trying to understand what happened.  I am not receiving, nor
have I been contacted to receive any of the mentioned 24 ferrets from
Ontario.

The U.S. shelters that may be receiving the ferrets may specialize in the
type of care that these animals need, or be better equipped to care for
them.  They may be closer than you think.  I agree that better care comes
from having a smaller number of animals, but some of these shelters have
scores of volunteer/foster homes where the ferrets will recieve
individualized and specialized care.  I don't know that for a fact, this is
all speculation on my part.

My question would be: was the shelter aware that you were going to help find
homes for the ferrets?  This may be a simple case of each party
misunderstanding the other.  I am sure that both you and the shelter have
the most honorable intentions in regards to your actions and the ferrets.
But if I were the shelter involved, I would want more information on the
homes that the ferrets are going to, other than you had found homes for
them.  After being forced to endure what these poor babies had already been
through, I know I would be doubly careful about placement.  Please
understand, I am not questioning your abilities to find appropriate housing
for them, or that the 14 families were in some way, substandard, only that I
would be happier with more information on the potential adoptees.  I may be
totally off-base, but without the full story, its hard to know.  Maybe you
did try to pass this on, but you didn't say.  You may have screened the
folks and done all of the wonderful background work, but was the shelter
aware of this?  Were the adoptions of these 14 going to be from the shelter,
or from you?  Was it just not possible for you to be there when they rescued
the ferrets?  A lot of these things could have been discussed and ironed out
at that point, possibly.

It is true that some shelters may be overburdened, but I doubt that they
would be the ones taking in the ferrets.  A very hard thing to do is to know
your limits and I hope that most shelters know their limits.  It is disaster
if they don't.  Believe me, there are more shelters than what is on the
shelter list.  Just look at Bill & Diane Killian, they shelter, yet are not
represented on the monthly report.  Ferret Central has literally hundreds or
thousands of shelters listed there.  Many shelters also are not
overburdened, but have waiting lists.

I am not stupid, or arrogant enough to think that I am the only person that
knows or thinks they know what is right or good for a ferret.  I realized
early on that the day I think that, is the day I stop sheltering/rescuing.
Every person has something valuable to add, and a different perspective,
based on personal experience.

I am very glad to know that you will soon be rescuing.  The more shelters
that exist, the less likely that a ferret will be put down because it was
not able to find a home.  I encourage you to contact Pam Troutman of
STAR*Ferret to get some good first start help on opening a rescue, or
contact the ferret organizations like AFA and LOS.

I would never refuse help to anyone, especially if the welfare of an animal
weighs in the balance, regardless of how I feel towards the person.
Personality conflicts are the hardest to overcome, but sometimes the hardest
things to do are the most rewarding.  I hope that one day, you will change
your mind.  I understand your anger, but I feel saddened by the vehemence in
your posting and the fact that you have painted all shelters with the same
brush.  It is not fair to them, or me.

My only hope is that the rescued Ontario ferrets get the best care possible
and a wonderful second home.

-a shelter