From:
Jennifer Coyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 04:40:48 -0700
Hi there Rachelle, David and McKyle. Welcome to the FML!! :o)

Rachelle wrote:
>Does anyone else have a nose nipper?  And why the nose?  Big target?  I
>can't figure it out.

I have a female chocolate sable, that occasionally nips at my nose when
giving her kisses.  She doesn't bite hard, but let's me know that she wants
down.  She doesn't really enjoy cuddling, wiggles when handled- just loves
to run around and play.  Of course, when she does bite my nose, I pull her
away from my face, but do not instantly put her down either.  Because this
exactly what she wants, and I don't reward bad behavior.  So I just hold her
for a short time, until she stops wiggling, then I put her down when she's
behaving.  That way, she know that she can't get her way by throwing a fit.
She used to frequently bite my nose and wiggle crazily when handled, but now
just endures the torture kisses.  If your fuzzbutt is biting your nose, but
only when on the ground, then there might be other causes.  Maybe he doesn't
fully understand that he's not suppose to bite, and gets carried away, with
that soft skin just hanging out, and can't resist biting (there are few
fuzzies out there that love nibbling on soft squishy skin).  But this can be
corrected, just like any other nipping/biting problem.  Make sure to act
quickly after he bites, scruffing him.  Then a firm NO!  and some hissing
works great (this is what his mother would have done to scold him).  The key
to the correcting process, is always to give positive influence and
persistence.

>More questions too... I have tried all sorts of treats made especially for
>ferrets, cat treats, and other human foods that are said to be OK for
>occasional treats, such as raisins.  But my finicky fuzzbuster likes ONLY
>the following as treats: Ferretone (of course!) and orange juice.  He
>refuses all others!  ...I've heard that most ferrets go nuts for raisins &
>such.  Any tips?

My male sable fuzzy is a n extremely picky eater, too.  The only treats he
will consume are ferretone and peanut butter and banana ferret treats.  He
will not even touch raisins.  Sometimes he will eat cooked meat and some
veggies.  So don't be shocked.  There are ferrets out there that are a bit
picky.  The only thing I would recommend - orange juice is very acidic and
could easily upset your fuzzies' tummy.  You could possibly try a different
fruit (but not juice) like apples, pears, bananas, etc- but of course in
small portions.  Experiment with veggies too, except stay away from onions-
they can cause adverse reactions.