Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 1997 10:20:55 -0500
Normie's dental went fine yesterday and he is home now relaxing with the
gang.  My friend, Nat, works at the vet. clinic so was able to keep a sharp
eye on Norm for me.  I was told that Normie was given ketamine to calm him
down before he was put under with isofluorine.  I was a bit surprised that
they used ketamine on Normie.  If anyone has any thoughts about using
ketamine on ferrets let me know.  Is it really necessary to use ketamine and
is it safe?  I was unaware that they were going to give him that and was a
bit concerned.

Secondly, Normie had some bloodwork done before his dentistry and his
glucose level was low (56).  My other ferret, Gizzy, had some bloodwork done
last spring and his glucose level was also low (66).  The vet wasn't
concerned about it because apparently when they send the blood away all
ferrets have a low glucose level.  They explained to me that it may be low
due to the stress of taking the blood and mentioned some other things.  They
weren't very concerned with the low levels.  Does anyone have any thoughts
about this?

Thanks for your input,

Melanie

Gizzy - "All I want to do is sleep"