From:
Lorraine Tremblay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 1997 15:37:05 -0400
>I feed my little ones a mixture of Nutrition 1St by President's
>Choice/SuperStore product - excellent meat based protein food and
>Iams Kitten.

Last winter I purchased mostly Nutrition 1st, I feel it is a good food BUT
but I noticed that my gang has softer coats when they were fed primarily on
Eukanuba, Nutro or Totally Ferret.  I think it might be due to the higher
fat content or from superior protein source.  I read that there are
different grades of ingredients going into pet food, for example "chicken
protein by-products".  I wish I had the source handy.

>I'm going to be greedy, and ask a second question - I'd like to know from
>ferret owners own personal experiences as to good treats and bad treats.  I
>read that grapes were o.k.  and yet Carole (our pres) ended up with a
>blockage(well not her, one of her furries) and so that grape treat ended up
>costing her $150.00 at the Vet's.

I would not call you greedy for asking 2 questions after several months of
lurking 8-).  I feel that a little bit of fruit is OK: after all wild
carnivores eat some berries.  However, give them small fruits like
blueberries, mashed fruits like bananas or strawberries or small pieces of
fruit that are not too hard like mandarins, peaches, melons.  I cut the
grapes in several pieces and the raisins in 2 or 3 pieces in case they
swallow them whole.

There is some dogs treats, used by trainers, that I wished my gang liked:
bits of dried heart, bits of dried liver, dried lamb in slices (mixed may be
with other ingredients), etc... It is a much better animal protein /
by-product source than most dog or cat treats where wheat is often the first
ingredient.

I compiled a list of treats (good & junk food) for ferrets. The URL is:
http://www.storm.ca/~ferret/mctreats.shtml

Lorraine Tremblay & Pepe La Pew, Sanka, Mukluk, Presto, Snoreau & Boum Boum
Fostered ferrets: Tyler & Feline
Owner of the Ferret Curiosity Shop
Webmistress of Mustela Canada & Mustela Francia
http://www.ferretcuriosity.on.ca