From:
Caryl Rion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 13:07:44 -0400
Does anyone out there have any problems with their ferrets attacking them if
they are sqeaking a sqeaky toy?

My male ferret, Brutus, goes absolutely insane whenever we do this.
Whenever we sqeak one of their toys he tries to bite whoever is closest to
him, however, he does not bite the sqeaky toy.  One of our females, Boo Boo,
comes directly to me whenever we do this, but she doesn't bite.  She's a
former Fredonia ferret so I figure maybe she thinks a baby is crying??

Has anyone every had this before?  Normally he is not a biter at all.  Could
he be protecting the other ferrets?  Maybe he thinks one of them is in
pain??  Are the males usually protective of their young?

Thanks!
Caryl
Lucy, Brutus and Boo Boo

P.S.  Just a quick note about Boo Boo.  She was one of the Fredonia girls
and I am happy to report that she is now totally adapted to being with my
other ferrets and is an absolute doll.  If anyone ever has any doubts about
taking in a problem ferret, give it a shot.  With a little bit of patience
and alot of TLC, they will get better.  When we first got her she was
terrified of the other ferrets and had to be caged alone.  She also nipped
me a good bit and had to be litter trained.  I can also say that she didn't
know how to dance.  My heart melts now when I see her with the other
ferrets.  She plays and cuddles with them and follows Lucy around all the
time.  It's like she's a little kid trying to follow her big brother and
sister around.  She even knows how to dance now (okay she goes backwards and
does a moonwalk) and has about a 95% hit rate with the litter box - even
when she is out of her cage.

Anyway, I'd like to personally thank all of you who helped get this little
girl to us.  Especially you Troy Lynn, you are an absolute saint!