From:
Kimberly Fromm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 21:31:53 -0600
Hello all.

Some of you may recall a while back that I wrote asking for breeders near or
in Montana as I was looking to purchase a second ferret.  Well, I broke down
and bought one.

Problem is, as of yet, I have seen no response from him to any noise at all.
Is there any way to test if a ferret is deaf?  He is still not used to his
name, as I haven't had him that long yet for him to get used to it, so
calling him by it doesn't grab his attention obviously.  I've tried using a
squeaky toy, a bell, and numerous other methods to no avail.  Any
suggestions here would be helpful.

One other thing.  For training this new guy not to bite, I tried coating my
hand in good old bitter apple, but it just doesn't seem to have much effect.
Now not a problem with the biting habit, I know of many other methods to
break him of it, but when it comes to other problems (cord chewing for
example), I was originally planning on using bitter apple.  Since it doesn't
effect him much though, I'm not sure it would help any.  Is there anything
else out on the market that would work in the same way, or as well as bitter
apple is known to?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Kimberly Fromm