From:
Kymberlie Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 22:44:23 -0400
I've seen some discussion over the past months about some of you that use
various kinds of air filtration systems.  I've just had enough of trying
creative ideas to control the ferret aroma in the shelter, I now need
suggestions a.s.a.p!

The situation that I've got here is that the house that we were able to rent
is much smaller than the old place we lived before we moved to this area.
We had trouble renting, of course, due to the number of pets.  So this house
had to do.  The house is a two-story house plus we have an unfinished
basement.  The only choices we had for the shelter was either the basement
or the 2nd floor, which is actually the attic that has been finished.  The
basement seemed too gloomy and musty, so we went with the attic.  It works
nicely as far as space goes, but there is just *no* ventilation up there.
There are two windows at each end of the attic, but with colder weather
coming, I don't feel comfortable leaving the windows open.

The floor is carpeted.  I'm considering pulling up the carpet and laying
linoleum, to keep odor from getting trapped in the carpet (anyone out there
in the Philly area experienced in laying linoleum, I need help and have
little $$!).  However, I think that I still need to control the odor in the
air.  Even when the room is cleaned to immaculate conditions, it still has a
pretty strong ferret aroma.

So here's where I am.  I called our local Alpine dealer.  Alpine systems are
ion systems, ozonators that release ions into the air that are supposed to
"eat" the odor.  Well the Alpine guy left a unit here for me to try for a
week.  It's been here since Monday and it's not helping much.  There is some
difference, but not enough, and I don't like the smell that the ionization
leaves, either.  The Alpine dealer said that maybe I needed a bigger unit,
but I can't afford one.

So now I am thinking of trying an air filtration system, one that takes the
yucky odor in and filters it to nice clean air.  But I don't want to shell
out the money and then find it doesn't work either.

Everyone out there that has ANY kind of air system, ozonator, filtration,
whatever, please write to me and tell me if it works or not.  Any input you
can give me would be wonderful.  Please, I am serious, if you have any kind
of system at all, tell me the type/model, how much it cost, and whether it
helps a little, a lot, or not at all.

Also if anyone has other suggestions, please let me know a.s.a.p.  I have to
give the Alpine system back this weekend, and I need to know what to try
next before I go crazy.  The odor up here really doesn't bother me, or
ferret owners that come here, and with cover-ups and enzyme sprays it smells
fine for others to come in, but my problem is that I don't want to use cover
ups; I want clean air.  Help!

Kymberlie Becker Barone
Director, Pennsylvania Ferret Rescue Association
"Forget Puppy Love...There's nothing Greater than Ferret Love!" TM
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/ferretlady