From:
Glenn Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:10:29 -0700
Since Jeff's post obviously refers to me, I would offer these thoughts.

Any person, or group that works for a better life for our pets must be
respected, commended and remembered, but the "quest" may not be theirs
alone.  I suggested contacting Michigan industry leaders simply because they
are the heavyweights when it comes to the reshaping of political or
bureaucratic policy.  This is the case in any state.  Legislation "held in
committee" usually dies there, simply because someone does not want it to
come to a floor vote.  Sad commentary on America's political structure, but
all too true.  If it did come to a vote, would it pass?  We know we have
wonderful friends in Senator Christopher Dingell and Representative Eileen
Hart and maybe others, but they have but one vote.  If it did pass, would
Michigan's Governor Engler sign it?  The merits of the "appeal to reason"
versus the "red-hot poker" approach could probably be argued forever but is
really determined by the caliber of people you are dealing with.  Never in
history has the senseless murder of a little animal done so much to unite
and mobilize pet lovers all over this country.  If we allow the memory of
Kodo to fade, we will have lost the best chance we ever had to effect
change.  And each and every one of us will become a little bit smaller.  The
FML is not an appropriate forum for "internal" differences and I will not
pursue it further, but I would ask Jeff to keep us more informed.

Best regards and all my love to the little ones,
Glenn J.