From:
Date:
Sat, 16 Aug 1997 22:45:14 -0700
>From:    "Elwin L. Bullard II" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cages... more
>Exactally what I do except I have a ceramic tile square (one foot square)
>under the food dishes and water bottle.  I did not want the girls ingesting
>carpet fibers if they ate what dropped out of the bowl.

Great idea.  We enjoy how a discussion can improve on ideas and we are not
afraid to admit we are still learning.  We intend to continue learning for
the rest of our lives...

>From:    "Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Distemper antibody transfusion

You kindda took one comment about the "cure" and one comment about these
non-vaccine nosodes.  You did describe how the "cure" worked.  This cure is
actually mentioned in the Fox book but there described as impractical.
We've had some of the "cured" ferrets in our house so we have seen the
living breathing ferrets up close and personal.

Vaccines are not 100% but are highly recommended.  The problem with too
many of the non-traditional medical treatments is that with no testing
you are going on faith.  It does sound like we agree on this topic.

>From:    Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Nosodes

Sorry if you thought we thought you thought this was a good idea <grin>

We responded to the idea not the person.  The idea of injecting live virus
still sounds loopy.  The description of how a nosode works is a bit odd.
Something is missing - how does the distilled water ensure the destruction
of the virus?

Not talking about you but what you are citing here.  If there is no real
virus left but only enough of a genetic marker to trigger the immune system
then why is it NOT a killed virus vaccine?  Its the exact same process once
it hits the body.  The process for creating the vaccine from the virus is
different but the result is a serum based on genetic material from virii
that are no longer viable.  This really sounds like a different way to do
the same thing but they throw up dire warnings about why someone else's
method if doing the same thing is dangerous.

>What that means in terms of nosodes is that there are no killed or modified
>virii in the product administered.  Whether or not you believe that a
>protein 'imprint' of a pathogen can sensitize an animal's immune system to
>that pathogen is up to you.

Not you since we agree but it sounds like hype.  This really sounds like the
age old technique of raising a fear in people (the danger of vaccines) but
then sell your product as the miracle cure.  This protien imprint they talk
about IS a killed virus.  Where did the genetic imprint come from if not a
killed virus?

>Many people have issues with the fact that some vaccines are prepared
>using heavy metals.

But do some of them then tout colloidial silver...

>More people dislike having their animals vaccinated yearly when it isn't
>clear if yearly vaccinations are even necessary.

The correct way to handle this in our opinion is to test the titer of their
vaccinated animal.  If too low then another vaccine is needed.  If not then
no vaccine is needed.  Expensive but it is the only safe way to avoid
superfluous vaccinations.  There are people who have the titer in their
ferrets checked.  There are also those who want to do the best they can for
their ferrets but can not afford the costly titer test when the risks of
vaccination are so low.  We'll continue to advise the accepted norm of
annual vaccinations for ferrets.  Special cases are dealt with as special
cases such as ferrets that react to the vaccine.  If their titer is still
high than they can skip the potentially life threatening shot.

>While I don't necessarily agree with homeopaths or homeopathy, I'm upset
>that I presented something misleadingly and gave an incorrect impression
>of it.

After the clarification it still sounds the same.  Don't be upset, its not
your fault if we thik we see holes in the holistic arguments.

>From:    Laura Kline <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Re: Zen on "nosode" or purposeful infection....

The URLS were checked.  No change in our opinion.  We still feel live virii
are more toxic than trace elements.  Those elements are probably already in
the body.  Most end up having some purpose that was not expected.

>And I would hope we share information we aquire in a responsible manor.

We agree completely.  We are sorry if you disagree with our assessments but
that does not make our comments irresponsible.  But this post was in
response to a non-ferret post and this thread is now way off-topic.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]