Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 11 Jun 1998 23:51:26 -0400
From:
This has been a terrible week.  The day after we buried our dog, Lupi, we
noticed that Buttercup was vomiting; she was also straining in the
litterbox, producing only little drops of diarrhea.  I didn't see her eat at
all.  In eight years of caring for ferrets, we've never had to deal with an
obstruction, but we've read enough to know the symptoms.  When the straining
episodes became more frequent, I called Dr. Weiss to request an emergency
appointment.  After x-rays and a barium series, he concluded that Buttercup
has a partial obstruction caused by a soft foreign body in her stomach.  He
thinks the foreign body is too large to pass and recommends surgery.  He
gave Buttercup subcutaneous fluids, and recommended baby food and Nutrical
this evening.  We will bring Buttercup back in the morning for another
X-ray, after keeping her in a separate cage all night so we can monitor the
output.  If she doesn't bring up or pass anything, we will let Dr. Weiss do
the surgery tomorrow.  Buttercup is still strong and active, so it is better
to have the surgery done soon rather than wait until she becomes
debilitated.  Dr. Weiss said it is possible for a total obstruction to
develop if the foreign body gets lodged in the duodenum.

Buttercup is now 4 1/2; she is our senior ferret. She loves her stuffed
animals; I hope she didn't start chewing on them.  Dr. Weiss thinks it's a
hairball, and I hope he's right.  I'd hate to deprive Buttercup of her baby
mice, Curious George,  and other toys. I was always careful to avoid toys
with plastic eyes or noses.

Clare Sebok