Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 21:54:21 -0500
From:
Mary Catharine Kuruziak <[log in to unmask]>
Dear FML List Members

This is in reference to the recent and numerous postings to the list from a
certain Ontario Ferret Shelter which claims to be the ONLY shelter in the
Ontario Great Lakes Region.  I ought to begin my post with this one very
basic question: Define the words, ferret "shelter".

Here's my short form synopsis of this thread so far: 60 Ontario ferrets
found by London SPCA Inspector living in treacherous, torrid, wretched,
filthy conditions.  Ferret shelter owner (and Agent of the Peel SPCA), hears
of this and intervenes to 'save' these animals.

I have in my lap a copy of the OSPCA Act, which clearly defines cruelty and
the legal powers available to any Inspector/Agent of the OSPCA, as well as a
copy of the Manual/Guide for Inspectors & Agents.  I am familiar with these
laws being a former Director of my local and Provincial SPCA Boards.

It it quite clear that cruelty or neglect sufficient enough to warrant
instant removal of these animals from this owner was not found to exist.  If
such conditions did exist, the law obliged the Inspector who was supposedly
present at this place more than once, to immediately call for a veterinarian
who would have advised them to remove the ferrets.  This *obviously* did not
happen.

If these ferrets were not being kept in the 'best' of conditions and the
situation at hand was not severe enough to justify removing the animals then
and there, the Inspector had the power and was obliged to issue an Order of
Compliance ("Caretaker" Order)as outlined in Section 13(1) of the Act.

This order was made in writing and gave the owner a reasonable amount of
time to correct the conditions causing the distress and if not complied with
then Section 14(1)(c) of the Act became effective.  The ferrets then become
the property of the OSPCA and would have been seized.  This is what was to
occur this morning.  A much 'kinder and gentler' rescue.

A group of us in the area did contact the London SPCA and offered to take
all the ferrets, in any condition; care for them out of our own pockets; and
to work diligently to find them wonderful homes.  As soon as this became
'known', it appears that this "buy-out rescue" was moved up one day.  Every
one of those ferrets would have made only ONE trip on their way to truly
loving, experienced homes.  In general, our emails and calls to this shelter
over the past few weeks have been ignored.

Where are the ferrets now?  F.A.S.T informed London the ferrets were to be
placed in the Pet Smart stores.  Last evening we were told on the phone by
F.A.S.T that they were spoken for and most were promised to shelters in the
USA.  The F.A.S.T. by its own claims is full and very short on cash needed
to care for its own ferrets at the present time.  Could someone explain to
me, what type of responsible individual knowingly takes on a large number of
ferrets that they are not able or prepared to care for and then begs for
money from the public, when there are decent people who are ready, willing
and able to assist with these ferrets?

Our original offer to take every one of these ferrets in and to provide for
their care completely, financially, morally and otherwise, still stands.
Sending them to the USA or putting them in PetSmart is totally unnecessary
and a truly unkind act to the ferrets when the resources to care for them
already exist - right here.

This is the 'anonymous' internet where we need to remember that every thing
we read is not the gospel truth.  If you are ever in doubt, you owe it to
yourself to take the time to discover the truth in a story.  You would be
surprised at what you might find.

In the future, if anyone in this province needs to place a ferret or knows
of any in unfortunate circumstances that need to be cared for, contact us
directly.  We are committed to always be available and remain a devoted
"network" of responsible, experienced people who will help, anytime help is
needed; who will work willingly in the spirit of cooperation with each other
for our ferret friends, and don't expect to find us begging for money,
complaining about the work we take on, or looking for pats on the back.  One
thing we don't have is ego problems (our ferrets have them!)  We will do it
simply for the ferrets.

If anyone in southern Ontario would like to work with us, please send a
private email.  Other names and addresses you can contact will follow
shortly.

Sincerely,

The Kuruziak Family (Mary & Nick)

mailto:[log in to unmask]
or
mailto:[log in to unmask]

NOTE: We have just been informed that these ferrets are in the Pet Smart
Store in Toronto and this shelter operator is being interviewed for the
local independant news feed tonight.  I can't help but shudder to think
about them sitting there in those bright lights, being put up for public
display after all they have been through.  That type of kindness simply
defies description!  And gosh, what an unbelievably quick recovery from
their terrible wretched living conditions and poor state of health they have
made!  Bless their fuzzy little hearts.