Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 13:16:47 -0600
From:
Katie Walker <[log in to unmask]>
It is with a sad heart that I have to announce the deaths of both of my
ferrets: Ian and Cloud.  They both passed peacefully and will be missed very
much.

I know that a lot of people have a nodding acquaintance with me and I
thought that this would be the best place to pass on the information so that
I didn't miss anyone, but I just wanted to pass on a warning too.

Ian died while being transported from Milwaukee to Boise via air.  The
preliminary reports show that Ian was perfectly healthy except for a
build-up of blood in his lungs.  Right now we are sending tissue samples to
Dr. Williams to see if he can determine why there was blood in the lungs.

(Cloud died several days later in his sleep.  We opted not to have the full
autopsy since it would have been days to wait for it to be done and we
wanted to bury them both as soon as possible.)

Right now, we don't want to point any fingers, but we are leaning toward
airline error with pressurization of cargo area where my little ones were
traveling.  It is the only thing which makes sense since there was no other
trauma.

My warning is to be very careful in transporting your pets via air.  If at
all possible either find another way or have them travel in the cabin with
you.  In my heart, I believe that air pressure was involved with the deaths
and I hope that this was an isolated incident.  BUT caution is a good thing.

I know that this is a bit disjointed.  I am still in a lot of shock.  It is
hard to believe they are gone.

Give your little ones hugs for me,
Katie
--
Katie [log in to unmask]
Computer Science Lecturer, Carroll College

May Kodo's Light Shine for the Whole World to See

        "I'm glad I didn't know,
         The way it all would end
         The way it all would go
         Our lives are better left to chance