From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 17:07:29 -0500
Melanie Hawkins asked:

>I noticed a couple of months ago that my one ferret, Norman, had a
>considerable amount of plaque on 4 of his teeth.  [...] Needless to say, my
>attempt to clean the plaque off of his teeth was a frustrating nightmare.
>I even waited until he was asleep, and he woke up immediately.  Does anyone
>have any suggestions?

Tooth cleaning is best done by an experienced vet, who will put the ferret
under a little isoflurane (anesthesia) in order to do a thorough job.  The
vet may also give the ferret a little antibiotic, since infections are
always a risk when the gums bleed (as they will).  Although there are always
small risks whenever you deal with anesthesia, ferrets tolerate isoflurane
very well and the risk is tiny.

>One other question.  I am looking for some clear dryer tubing, so if anyone
>has a phone # or address of someone who may be selling them that would be
>great.

Several shelters, including WNYFLFA, sell the 20-foot tubes as a fundraiser.
WNYFLFA's is $12 for non-members, plus shipping -- much less than the $24.95
I believe S&G sells it for.  Contact Sandy DeBout at

Cheers,

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>