From:
"Cher R. Clarke" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 12:43:26 -0600
Regarding water:
Our tap water is so hard that I don't even drink it.  All the fixtures are
orange, it smells nasty, and it tastes awful.  It has more iron than a
skyscraper.  I filter it for me, so I filter it for the ferrets.

Is that good enough?  Do they need that perfectly mineral-free store-bought
kind, or should it be in-between (so they get some minerals)?

Regarding Rut:
I have a whole male; didn't want one, but that's how he is (rescue).  He's
2 years old.  You know, I'd always heard how agressive and smelly hobs are,
but he's a big, sweet teddy bear.

He's only been here a week, though, so we haven't seen "rut." What is it
exactly?  I know it's when the male is "in season" or "in the mood."  But
what triggers it, and how often does it occur?  Is it messy?

I can get him neutered in two weeks.  But does he "need" that?  What are the
pro and con aspects?  He'll never again meet a jill in estris, so there's no
potential for population.  Are there medical reasons to snip or not to snip?
The reasons for female de-sexing are clear.  Can a male get sick if he
remains whole?  Is this an anesthetized procedure?

And if we opt against the procedure, when and what should I expect from Rut?
How will I know?  Will he need to be housed separately from the two males
and five females (all de-sexed by MF)?  Will he "come out of it" on his own,
or does he have to have a jill?  If his "season" coincides with Cat's
"season," will they affect each other?

Thanks.
Cher