From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 05:08:25 -0500
Q: Do MF ferrets really have more problems than other ferrets?

A: Only in a Jungian sense.

There are two major features of MF ferrets that I have noticed.  The 1st is
known by most, that there *appears* to be a high incience of adrenal tumors
in MF ferrets (to me, not scientifically proven, but may still be
observationally real).  The 2nd is rarely mentioned, and that is MF ferrets
tend to be smaller than breeder ferrets.  Usually, if mentioned, this is
attributed to early neutering, which is probably partially true.  Sometimes
people suggest private breeders breed them bigger, but most breeders I have
met (and please take *NO* offence for this statement) know a lot about
getting ferrets pregnat and pushing the puppies out, but few know much about
husbandry or simple genetics.  I doubt if many size differences are actually
caused by breeding, other than random.

I think undernutrition may be a factor for both MF ferret size AND later
observed disease rates.  Think about when the kits are shipped out to pet
stores; most are about 7-8 weeks of age, but I have seen kits as young as 6
weeks in pet stores, based on tooth development (The worst I've seen was
from a private breeder who sold kits at 5 1/2 weeks).  These kits are being
shipped out at a delicate point in their development, right in the middle of
a growth spurt for most.  They are stressed from mother and sibling
separation, neutering, introduction of disease during shipment, confinement,
and shipping.  Many have only been weaned for a short time, and some have
difficulty with the hard food supplied during shipment, provided it is not
spoiled.  Remember, undernutrition can be caused either by not getting
enough to eat, OR by not eating enough of the supplied food.  Different
reasons, but idential results.  These things *have* to have some sort of
impact on the little beasties final size and health.

Personally, I think many of the so-called problems are more perceptions than
reality (boy am I going to get mail on that one!) Kind of like a cold; it
might only get me for a week, but you are sick for SEVEN days, so it is much
worse!  Some are observationally real, but not reality; I see 10 red cars
when 15 drive past, so I say most cars are red.  My observations may be
correct, but the reality may be 1 car in 10 is red and I just viewed a
biased sample.  So, in other words, I think early neutered ferrets,
physically and mutritionally stressed during a major growth phase, will be
smaller, and perhaps display more metabolic problems later in life,
REGARDLESS if they come from MF or the local breeder.  So the problems
reported in MF ferrets may not be problems with the ferrets themselves, but
with the way they are being handled by MF; the resulting perception is MF
ferrets have something wrong with them.

Do I think these are the only factors?  Nope, I think shelter ferrets might
have a higher percieved incidence of disease for a number of factors; little
interaction and touching, scant exercise, proportionally more sick ones
rescued, even an unknown virus.  In other words, I *don't* know because no
one really does.  More research has to be done, long term studies, and an
open-door policy from MF.  It also requires us to be open minded to
alternative explanations.

Bob C and 20 MO Power Poofers