Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 05:12:57 -0400
Greetings fellow FMLers..

I know I haven't posted often as of late, but this current "hot topic" was
something I just couldn't let alone.  I think people need to calm down a bit
and realize where everyone else is coming from.  Everyone is entitled to an
opinion, and flaming another person for there opinion smacks of strong
opinions and hurtful feelings.  First of all, anyone who subscribes to the
FML MUST have a great interest in their fuzzies.  People who search out
other owners (ownees?) are looking for a community and a family, it seems.
We all love our babies very much, and have made some careful thoughts about
purchasing a companion (2,3,4, 15, 20 ferret math strikes horribly) before
we buy.  The problem is not with FMLers, but with "FAD" buyers.  These
people see ferrets (usually when a law has just been passed allowing them in
a particular state...and they are suddenly found in pet stores) and think
"How cute.  I'll get my kid one." Pet stores are responsible for telling
these people how long the pet lives, warning them against dangers with
electricity, fridges, babies (who might hurt the fuzzy or get scratches by
ACCIDENT) etc.  Some people just think they are cool (and rightly so) but
don't realize what kind of responsibility they entail.  (again, poor
education on the parts of the pet stores.)

ANY pet owner SHOULD make careful considerations about a pet.  A pet becomes
family as soon as it enters your home.  So yes, in my humble opinion, a pet
is family and not to be given up when things get rough.  HOWEVER,
unforseeable problems may arise that cannot be changed.  I think when you
give up a pet--it's like giving up a child for adoption.  The "parent" goes
through AGONY making a decision, thinks of every possible alternative, tries
to come up with SOME solution...anything but giving up a "baby." If the
decision is made, it comes with great heartache and sadness.  No pet owner
from the FML makes this decision lightly, by any means.  Can you fault the
FML owners for wanting to find a good home for their kids?  They know that
FML people are caring and loving, and should most likely be able to provide
a happy home for their kids.

So it comes to this.  All the poor fuzzies who are in shelters and are
homeless, those that are treated poorly, etc. are most likely coming from
people who don't really know what it is to be a ferret mommy or daddy.  They
don't subscribe here, because we haven't heard from anyone who just states
"I got sick of my fuzzy, anyone want him?" The misfortunate fuzzies suffer
because of people who want to make a quick buck.  Those that crank out kits
to sell to pet stores and keep them in horrible conditions, pet stores (who
are usually not very knowlegable about our fuzzies)who just want to sell an
animal for 130 bucks....etc.

Please, consider this.  Fuzzies that find homes on the FML find GOOD homes.
They are loved.  They live with people who don't mind having food hidden
God-knows-where for months, who don't mind having dryer hoses strung around
their house, or having socks stolen (or keys, or ONLY your American Express
credit card, or the remote, or...) or getting their wiggly troublesome toes
bitten.  If we need to flame anyone, don't do it here, THEY WON'T HEAR YOU.
THEY DON'T CARE, AND THEY CERTAINLY AREN'T SUBSCRIBING!

I am sorry for such a long post, but I came very close to having to make
just such a decision myself.  I guess I can't live without my babies,
because I chose not to accept the full scholarship to UCLA.

THanks BIG, for letting me natter on. (and thanks for the fabulous work you
do. I just had to add that and jump on the bandwagon..*grin*)