Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 10:11:58 -0400
Someone, when we first got our ferrets this Spring, suggested an airfilter
to control odor.  (what odor?  I *like* the way our ferrets smell!) At the
time, one of our ferrets, Eris was having a tough time with allergies.  So
the addition of the airfilter not only controlled odor but helped to
eliminate the Oak pollen that she seemed to react to.

Anyway, Maggie Sez:

>And yes folks, it does make a difference.  I do have one that has an
>ionizer but be aware you shouldn't run those too much.  They can create
>ozone if you do.

Actually its not the creation of Ozone that is a problem with airfilters
that have a de-ionizer option.

I know a bit about generating excessive amounts of ozone as my other hobby
is fishkeeping and ozone is used sometimes in marine aquaria to fix organic
matter for removal by protein skimming or to control redox potential.  Too
much ozone there does exciting thing to your nitrates and also smells really
awful.

Anyway, the problem with aircleaners with a de-ionizer option is that they
"charge" large airborne particles so these particles settle and not float
around for the dust sensitive to inhale.

This is great unless you run around with your nose 3" from the floor kicking
up all those particles and inhaling them.  We all know our little buddies
are fairly sensitive to respritory irritiation so this is why a airfilter
with a de-ionizing option may not be a good thing for ferrets but great for
us!

Also, airfilter users.  Go change your carbon filter.  Do it today before
you forget!!!  And your smoke alarm batteries while you are at it!!

Ann