From:
Lisa Leidig - Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 18:44:39 -0400
Hi everyone! Running behind as usual (what I would do for more hours in the
day!  ;-)  )

Scales for weighing ferrets: I have the best scales for weighing ferts --
Its an O'Haus thriple beam scale that I reset 0 when I attached an old
colander to it -- this sucker weighs in the micrograms!  You can find these
babies cheap at pawn shops,etc, or buy new at a science store.  It really
comes in handy when you are watching for weight gain/loss!

The panda kit at the pet store -- a lot of times the weaned early kits get a
temporary prolapsed rectum from eating soft foods -- I see it sometimes in
the older rescues when feeding duck soup for a prolonged period of time -- I
would certainly point it out to the manager, in case it is the first sign of
something serious -- I like vets to make the diagnosis, not me.  (did I
mention yet I'm not a vet?)

Science diet C/D -- I had to do this once with a ferret with urinary
problems -- If I remember right, its a bland version of A/D.  I also agree
with Alicia -- distilled water is bad for people to drink exclusively, since
it does not contain trace minerals and stuff that the body needs.  I would
certainly go with the alternative of spring water.

On a lighter note, I myself have fallen victim to ferret math -- I am the
proud owner of a two year old jill, recently spayed, from Dancing Bottom
ferrets.  She is gorgeous!  Thanks for letting me take her home with me.
Its my first known history, non MF ferret, and boy its like night and day!
She reminds me of a stone marten both in color and body.  I am pleased that
I made the plunge, but this is my last ferret!  <famous last words, eh?>

Happy Ferreting!

Lisa