From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 10:42:52 -0400
Dear FML,

I have heard from a separate source that someone on the FML has been
claiming to be caring for my shelter ferrets because I have been unable to
do so.  I would like to make a few things clear.

At no time did any of my ferrets, personal pets or adoptees under my care,
find themselves overburdening any one person.  I cared for the ferrets daily
until they could be relocated or adopted out.  By September 1996, all the
adoptees had been placed - that was A YEAR AGO.  If anyone is claiming to
currently be caring for ferrets from my shelter, they are misleading you.

My efforts to help place ferrets started up again in November 96 as a
placement and referral service.  By December 96, I had recovered all of my
personal pets from the people thanked below.

At no time did I ask any of the other local shelters to take my adoptees.
At the same time I was relocating myself and shelter ferrets, a shelter in
Maryland was closing for good, and their ferrets, personal as well as
adoptees, were being distributed to the local shelters.

1. Thank you to Mitch and Kathleen Cheeseman, Faith Hood, Debbie Spring and
Linda Neas for caring for my personal ferrets during my separation from my
husband until I could find a place to call my own.  Thank you also to the
Devores for caring for my two cats.

2. Thank you to Diane Rogers for allowing me to use the BFC's ferret show
last year as a "distribution point" to place adoptee ferrets.

3. Thank you to Holly Cyr for taking the last of my adoptees from that show
and finding good homes for them in Rhode Island.

At this time, I am the ONLY active ferret service in the Washington, DC
metro area.  Just a Business of Ferrets is going on a vacation and is closed
until November 1.  The two ferret shelters in Germantown, MD are no longer
active.  The people in Dale City, VA have either shut down (Skaggs) or moved
(Zen).  Basically, the closest shelters are in Baltimore (BFC) and Annapolis
(All About Bandit), MD.

So, if anyone out there wants to start a shelter, be a halfway house, or do
foster care in Fairfax, Prince William, Loudoun, Stafford, etc., counties in
Virginia, or Montgomery, Prince Georges, Frederick, etc., counties in
Maryland, please let me know.  I can't take in ferrets any longer, and not
everyone I talk to wants to keep them until I can find them a home.

For more information about my placement and referral service, please inquire
to [log in to unmask]

Thank you,  Pamela Troutman grant