From:
Kathy Lucy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 21:13:16 -0500
First....the following is a message from my vet, Dr J Murray.  From time to
time I have asked him about a disease or a cure, and he would try to explain
the reasons why and why not.  I went to Dr. Murray with the Aleutian Disease
question, and he replyed with the following.  I have always enjoyed his
insight to things, and I thought you might also.   Thank you     Kathy Lucy

To:  The ferret shelter with possible Aleutian disease and all ferret owners

Q  What is Alentian Disease?
A  Aleutian Disease is a parvo virus infection of mink.  Aleutian refers to
a mutant "blue" color.  These Aleutian colored mink are highly susceptible
to the disease and roughly 90% will die from it.  The signs in mink include:
lethargy, anorexia, cachexia, oral and gastrointestional bleeding, kidney
failure, anemia, thrombocytopenia, hypergammaglobulinemia, and death.  The
disease dates back to at least 1946.  Most natural cases occur in Aleutian
mink; because, they also have an anomaly called chediak-higashi syndrome
that effects their white blood cells.  In Chediak-Higashi, all affected
individuals (man, cattle, mink, mice, cats, and killer whales) are partial
albinos.  In mink the aleutian color is tpartial albino color.

Q   What is Aleutian Disease in ferrets?
A   Aleutian disease in ferrets is also a parvo
virus infection.  The signs in ferrets include: chronic progressive wasting
disease, progressive posterior paralysis, muscle wasting, tremors, urinary
incontinence, hyper-gammaglobulinemia, tarry feces, and death.  This disease
dates back to at least 1966.

DIAGNOSIS: Diagnosis is based on jypergammablobulinemia (> 20% of total
serum protein) and a positive blood test.  Your regular veterinarian can
contact
1.  United Vaccine Company, Aleutian Disease Serology, Madison, WI:
1-800-283-6465 or
2.  Diagnostic Laboratory, Division of Comparative Medicine, MIT, Cambridge,
MA 1-617-253-9472 for further info.

TREATMENT: There is no specific treatment.  There is no vaccine.  In
breeding or shelter facilities, euthanasia is recommended for all positive
animals.  In a single pet ferret home, supportive therapy of fluids,
antibiotics, and nutritional supplementation can be tried; however, remember
this ferret can serve as a potential source of infection to other ferrets.

PREVENTION: Since there is no vaccine, preventing exposure is the most
important thing!  All new ferrets should be either tested or quarantined.
All towels, bedding, hammocks, etc.  should be washed in hot water with
clorox bleach.  All bowls, cages, litter pans, floors, etc.  should be
cleaned with parvosol or 2% clorox bleach (1/2 cup bleach to a gallon of
water) or undiluted clorox cleans up with bleach.  Parvosol or bleach will
kill most viruses (ie.  ECE, Parvo, distemper, flu, etc.), most bacteria,
and most funguses (including ringworm).  Please remember to take care of
your healthy animals first, then the quarantined animals last.  Then wash
your hands and arms with parvosol or 2% bleach.  Then shower and change
clothes (esp.  with ECE).  Also never keep ferrets with a mink or use any
cages or facilities where mink have been.

Jerry Murray, DVM
Animal Clinic of Farmers Branch
Farmers Branch,  Tx.

Kathy Lucy for Jerry Murray
If you would like to respond or ask anything, pls feel free to use my e-mail.