From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 08:26:53 -0400
Marshall Farms located in New York is a breeder of laboratory animals
(ferrets, beagles).  Ferrets are supplied for drug trials, vaccine testing,
teratology, behavior studies, cardiovascular research, etc.  I don't know if
this is the same company, division or whatever that supplies ferrets to pet
stores but more than likely it is.

Hopefully BIG will let me put this $.02 in - Realize that the majority of
people who work in animal research do so because they do love animals.  If
we didn't we would not be able to care for the animals the way that we do.
I have seen pets that are treated worse than laboratory animals (embedded
collars, left outside, no human contact, diseased, malnourished, etc.).  I
have cried and seen technicians cry over the loss of our animals - it's not
easy work to do and it's not always enjoyable but we do it because we care -
Lord knows we don't do it for the money.  Of course everyone is entitled to
their opinion and I respect that but also consider that until enough valid
animal alternatives are found research, including ferret rabies shed studies
will include the use of animals.

[BB]