From:
Jennifer Lobdell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 10:55:38 -0500
Hi Everyone,

Charles and I had quite the scare last night.  We brought C.J. and Cindy to
the vets to get their annual distemper and rabies shots.  Everything seem to
be going well.  The vet urged us to stay in the waiting room for 10 minutes
to make sure they didn't have any reactions to the medication.  We waited
for twenty before leaving.  Then we walked them outside for another five.

We had driven maybe two miles from the vets when C.J. starting gagging and
vomiting.  We immediately turned around and headed back to the vet, weaving
in and out of traffic and running a red light.  By the time we got back C.J.
was unconscious and not breathing.  I ran inside with him and they took him
out back.  After sitting in the waiting room for what seem like for an
eternity, the vet came out and told us that he was in stable condition.  She
had given him a shot of benadryl, some oxygen and some fluids.  Then she
said that we should take him to Tufts Vet hospital for overnight
observation.  It had been a rough night.  We picked him up this morning
after a sleepless night and he was back to his regular self, scrambling to
get down to explore, and giving kisses.  The vet technician on duty said she
had placed a litter pan in his cage and all he did was dig.  This was a sure
sign that he was definitely back to his old self.  What a scare!  Now in the
future we will no longer be able to attend any ferret shows or have him
exposed to any other ferrets besides his cage mate Cindy.  He will no longer
be able to get a distemper shot but the vet isn't sure which vaccination
caused the reaction.  Does anyone know if there is a higher percentage of
reactions toward one medication more so than the other?  We will also stay
at the vets for 45 minutes after vaccinations in the future rather than the
ten they suggested.  I didn't give up hope when he fell unconscious because
of all the useful information about ferret allergic reactions we have gotten
from the FML.  This helped to keep me a little more calm as we raced back to
the vets.  One more question, is there anything in the future (besides
trying to stay calm and getting to the vets a.s.a.p.) that anyone could do
to help a ferret in this condition while en route to the vets?  Is there
such a thing as small animal CPR?  Or anything similar?  Any feedback would
be appreciated.

Thanks everyone,
Jennifer & Charles -The very relieved parents
C.J. - The very lucky ferret to be alive this morning
and Cindy - The little ferret who is happy to have her big brother back