From:
Janet O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 20:24:07 -0400
This is in regards to the poor little guy I wrote about yesterday.  I
stopped to see Deb (our animal control officer) this morning and she called
the vet while I was there.  The poor little guy did in fact have fleas and
ticks.  He had *NO LESS THAN 80* ticks on his poor little body!!!  From the
looks of what I saw yesterday, they sure didn't look like regulation size
wood ticks, more like dear ticks, but then I'm no entomologist.  Anyway the
poor little guy has massive infestation.  The vet would normally have
anesthetized him (the ferret <G>)to remove them and clean him up, but he is
quite weak and probably anemic from the fleas and ticks and he would not
tolerate anesthesia well, he appeared to have a bit of labored breathing,
again probably from the blood loss.  The vet used a topical medication and
the ticks were falling off him.  The vet wanted to keep him at least another
night.  He again noted that the little guy is a young male sable ferret.
I'm almost certain he is neutered.  He is quite willing to be handled and
I'm sure this is not just because he is weakened...he *tried* to play with
my fingers in between scratching.  I will check with Deb tomorrow.  Till
then, please send warm wishes to this poor little orphan!

Janet

PS: Has anyone got the scoop on the RI ferret horror?  I saw on Boston news
this AM a short blurb about a ferret who had been wandering around
neighborhoods and bit quite a few people.  I'm not 100% sure, but I thought
they said they were testing him for rabies which would mean he is not with
us anymore.  During the broadcast they showed a lady holding one of Kodo's
T-shirt, but made no comment on it.  Just wondering.