Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 21 Oct 1997 20:48:50 -0400
From:
John and Diane Rogers <[log in to unmask]>
EXCITING NEWS!

BAT STUDY RESULTS REPORTED

On Oct.  20, 1997 a representative of the American Ferret Association (AFA)
attended the Oct.  20, 1997 meeting of the United States Animal Health
Association Committee for Rabies in Louisville Kentucky.  At the one-day
session of particular interest to ferret owners, we heard a number of
presentations on the latest in rabies research, primary among which was the
1/2 hour presentation by Mike Niesgoda, The Centers for Disease Control
(CDC) on "Pathogenesis of Bat Rabies Virus Variants in the Domestic Ferret".

Our representative has just returned from KY, and we are working on a
complete analysis of the presentation abstract, plus some interesting
information gleaned from some of the researchers at this meeting, plus a
complete summary of the ferret rabies studies to date, putting this latest
study into perspective.  The next edition of the American Ferret Report,
which will be available by Nov. 14, will include complete details of the
bat study.

Tbe good news for ferret owners is that there is no news...study results as
reported are consistent with prior studies.  Now that we've got bats under
our belts, what's next?  (Just a Diane joke, ignore, all you serious people.)

A digest of the study results will be presented at the Big Apple Ferret Expo
in New York Oct. 25 at the presentation on Legislative and Legal Issues for
Ferret Owners, 1 pm, in the Show Hall.  A complete analysis and report will
be provided in the upcoming issue of the AFR, deadline yesterday.  Stay
tuned.

For information on the upcoming issue of the AFR, call 1-888-FERRET1.
For information on the New York Ferret Expo, call 1-800 Ferret 2 or
212-388-8652.--

 submitted by:  Diane Rogers, AFA Legislative and Legal Affairs Committee
 John and Diane Rogers - Baltimore Ferret Club
 http://baltoferret.com/bfc000.htm
 mailto:[log in to unmask]