From:
Dave Les <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Oct 1997 20:47:00 -0500
Hello everyone,

Even though you haven't heard from Deb and me in quite a while, I want to
assure everyone that we are still actively fighting the rabies injustice
here in Michigan.  Deb has redone "Deb's Kodo" to show the lock open with
Kodo free of the chains and a rainbow in the background.  We donate all of
the profits to the GLFA legal action fund.  The shirts are $35 +$3 s/h and
she will sign them for you.  We also have a petition that requests the
removal of Mary Grace Stobierski.  We have only collected a little over 300
signatures but we are sending copies to Gov.  Engler (running for
re-election), Haveman (her superior) and Paul W.  Smith (WJR - ferret
sympathist) just for effect.  We have also been doing radio interviews with
the focus on the removal of Mary Grace.  The reason that I have come "out of
lurking" is to respond to McDuff's posts.  Ladies and gentlemen, I'm here to
tell you that he is RIGHT ON!!!  While he may not be that adept at sugar
coating (it might be a little tough taking a shot right between the eyes),
his posts along with the most recent article by Howard Davies (CDC: No End
in Sight to Ferret "Tests") have caused me to rethink my strategy.  While
Mary Grace is a very evil woman and is the driving force behind the illegal
"policy" (polocy?) of slaughtering the ferrets in Michigan for her Kill and
Test approach, Dr. Charles Rupprecht is the real root of our problem.

I spoke with Rupprecht a number of times and I couldn't agree more with
Howard.  He is the consummate politician who's "genuine concern" for ferrets
is a genuine concern for how much revenue ferret shedding studies can
generate.  It is kind of a job security concern for a rabies expert in a
country where there are only 1-2 deaths attributable to the disease each
year.

Friends, the only way that I know of to stop this senseless ferret slaughter
is beat them at their own political game.  I believe that with the network
of ferret lovers that we have, we should be able to locate the friend of the
cousin of a friend of the brother of a good investigative reporter who could
be convinced to blow the lid off of this travesty.  Then we could rally
again to show our support (20/20, Dateline, etc.  - whoever is the
reporter's affiliate) Please put the word out on the streets.  Talk to as
many people as you possibly can.  If we get to Rupprecht we solve the
problem on a NATIONAL level.  I am working on a few more angles of my own
but this is one way that you can help.  Help find an investigative reporter.

I tried to find Howard's article on www.acmeferret.com but could not locate
it (I subscribe to the Independent Ferret News Service - article #4).  It is
quite lengthy so if you are interested, email me and I will forward you a
copy.  If you would like a shirt, you can reply to us on e-mail and we will
send you the details.  I can also email copies of the petition.  Think about
it; if this involved dogs or cats, we would not have a problem - why?  -
public opinion and popularity.  If ferrets are the third most popular pet in
the USA, we should be able to resolve this.  We just need to FOCUS our
efforts.  Thank you, Howard and McDuff!  For almost three years I have been
after the wrong person!

Dave Les