From:
Deanna Dean <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 21:50:31 -0400

>From:    Susan <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: couple of things...
>Part of responsible pet ownership is looking into the future BEFORE you get
>a pet so that you do not have to (@&^%$*UNLOAD IS WHAT I READ) your loving
>animals.  If you can't move into an apartment because they don't allow kids,
>DO YOU GET RID OF YOUR KIDS???  Sorry, if I'm stepping on toes.

This is not intended to be sarcastic or in anyway a verbal argument with
you.  It is however my opinion and I would like to share it.  If I am way
out on a limb here please forgive me.

I do not have the ability to "see" into the future nor do most of the people
I know, even though my mother may say she saw it coming she does not have
the "sight".

I have 2 ferrets and 1 dog and yes I plan on having them for the length of
their lives or mine.  I also have 2 children, Jonathan age 10 and Casey age
6 (some of you may remember our trip to school for show and tell).  My
daughter though only 6 has been hospitalized several times and has had to
under go surgery twice.  I do not know what the future holds for my family,
what if my daughter becomes so sick that I can no longer properly care for
my pets?  What if I was to become ill myself in any way?  What if finances
become so tight that I can barely feed my children never mind the pets?
What if, what if.  .... What if there were no such thing as sickness or we
were all born with a silver spoon?  Life is unpredictable, we can only do
the best we can and no more.  I can not put my life on hold because of what
if, I can not stop living today because of what may or may not happen
tomorrow.

Being a responsible pet owner I would gratefully give them to someone that
would be able to lovingly care for them if any of these things or other non
mentioned horrors should happen to my family.  It would brake my heart and
possibly kill the dog (she gets very depressed if we so much as go on a 2
week vacation) but as a responsible pet owner I would have no other choice.
On the other side of that I agree with your statement to a point.  Yes, some
people do "unload" their pets for lack of interest or other irresponsible
reasons but I believe most people start with good intentions that just do
not work out the way they intended.  Whatever their reasons may be it is
better for the pet to be given to someone that truly wants it and can care
for it.

If people feel persecuted or uncomfortable they will no longer post here
with their intentions of finding other homes for their pets.  Instead they
will let them loose or give them to a kid in the neighborhood that has no
idea on how to care for them.  I for one would rather they posted here,
someone will at the least respond with directions to their nearest shelter.

Just my $0.02

P.S.
I am so glad to hear that Newman is doing better and I look forward to your
updates on his condition.Yes, again I agree, love can do miracles for these
unwanted pets.

Deanna and all the kids