Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 23:10:42 -0700
>From:    "Daly, Chris" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Can Ferrets get colds??
>Ok, this may seem like a stupid question, but can Ferrets get colds??

Gilead Sciences biotechnology is testing a single-pill cure for the flu/cold
bug, which if it passes all tests will be the first true virus "cure" pill
ever.

It was tested and developed on Ferrets...sure as hell, they *do* get colds
and flus.  The ferts *survived* this (all of them) BTW...Gilead has a good
rep for care of experimental animals, and none of the research they do is at
all "frivolous"...mostly antiviral, much of it anti-HIV drugs.

Once they've got the human product fully developed and marketed (it's in
human testing now and looks *very* promising) we should pressure them to
release a vet formula for ferret use...after all, they've already tested it
on ferts!  It should be a godsend for elderly/ECE/cancer case ferrets who
might not survive even a mild viral infection on top of whatever else
they're dealing with.  Their website is at www.gilead.com but I'd strongly
advise not bothering them until after the human formula is done, because
that *will* be their first priority.  But at the right time, we'll hit 'em
with 2,000+ pleadings for this drug in a teensy little fert-size pill!

 For a wild true story of crooked cops, stolen guns, perjury, fraud
 and false criminal charges, see http://www.infinex.com/~jmarch