From:
Lisa Leidig - Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 17:31:50 -0400
Hi Everyone!

Catching up again -- just thought I'd drop in my two cents worth on a couple
things: ;-)

The "I mistook your finger for a raisin" thing really happens -- in our
case, it was my Misha, the big ol' MF boy that has two brain cells fighting
for dominance :-) .  Seriously though, this guy doesn't have much in the
smarts department, but boy does he know what a grape is!  We normally give
peeled quarters of grapes for treats, and if you are not paying attention,
Misha will take the grape AND your finger!  He will eventually let go, but
very reluctantly.  And he only does this with grapes, so we generally don't
give him any when a crowd of ferrets are out.

Kymberlie -- my thoughts are with you and Patches.  If there is anything
that I can do to help, please ask.

Jan -- I am so sorry to hear about Elizabeth -- she sounded like she was
very much a patron saint for the ferrets.  I can't help but wonder though --
do you think she's happily greeting and playing with the ferrets at Rainbow
Bridge?  I made an anonymous donation to the Morris rabies study in her
name.

Mo Maggie and Bob C: if either of you is ever near the Virginia beach, VA
area I would love to meet you!  I can't host you, unless you are up to
sleeping in the "ferret room" on the floor with 15 ferrets, but I hope to
meet you both soon!  Mags, we can exchange sarcastic barbs!

Jumping ferrets: Oh boy do I have a jumping ferret!  Little Miss Jezebel a 7
year old chocolate mitt (of course, the mitts help teleporting) who can jump
ANYWHERE.  From the tub to the toliet to the sink, from the sofa to the
coffee table, from the floor into the tree pot, this little southern belle
goes anywhere anytime!  Not too much wardancing though, (its just NOT
ladylike!) but if you can convince her to dance -- watch out!!

Intellectually challenged ferrets: yes, they do exist, either as naturally
challenged or induced. In one case, Misha, he is just not that bright -- it
doesnt bother him or the other ferrets, he is normal in every other way we
just know that sometimes Misha will get himself into something that he can't
figure out how to get out of! Its funny to watch him play with the other
ferrets and that they mess with him! Hiding and you can just see him
scratching his forehead -- "Where did they go?". The second
case, Nico, is due to heat related brain damage. He was an outside ferret
that we rescued from Suffolk who suffered a seizure from the heat. He is
now blind but gets along rather well. Neeks is rather clumsy, he is not
good at "ferreting" out things, and is just slow. Hes a very good boy and
almost always remembers where he is(sometimes he loses his "map" of the house
and runs into stuff. We watch him carefully when he is out and about. My
personal thoughts are just like with people, some ferrets are "smarter" than
others -- they figure out quicker how to get to the treat or place that
they want or train faster or whatever. I love 'em all smart or not!

To all that are moving, have moved, will move, done moving: WHEW!  Ya'll
make me tired just thinking about it!  For those new to VA, Welcome!

BTW, this Saturday is "National Homeless Animals Day". This day is set aside
for humane societies and concerned folks to remember about pet overpopulation
and the  education for responsible pet ownership, spay/neutering.

I hope that everyone's ferrets are happy and well -- Happy Ferreting!

Lisa