From:
Kate Pappas Rainier Beach Public Library <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:48:56 -0800
Barbara Dana has written the long-awaited sequel to her children's book
_Zucchini._ This time, it's _Zucchini Out West!_

Yes, Zucchini is headed for the wide-open prairie, traveling with his human,
Billy.  Billy's dad (not step-dad, who stays home with Mom) is driving them,
along with Billy's little sister and her pet mouse, One-Day Service.  Billy
is interested in ecology and particularly in endangered animals--especially
(you guessed it) the black-footed ferret.

Billy is excited at the thought of meeting the scientists responsible for
BFF conservation--yet, at the same time, he is worried.  Is Zucchini a BFF?
If he is, Billy must do the ethical thing and return him to the wild.  .  .
and oh, that will hurt!  Of course, if Zucchini's a domestic ferret, Billy
will still be able to love and care for him as a beloved companion...

Yes, there are some tear-jerking moments along with the humor and the
scientific knowledge and the human/ferret interest.  I do not want to spoil
the ending for anyone--but I will say that the cover picture looks exactly
like my Emmett!  So all of us should be able to figure out the answer to the
riddle before it's even asked!

I actually liked this one even better than _Zucchini_ although it's more
didactic (but since I approve of the underlying concepts, it didn't bother
me) For grades 4-6 or for ferret friends of any age.

Kate Pappas, children's librarian, owned by Emmett Kelly Ferritt and
part-owned by bOoKeR the Library Cat