From:
Lorraine Tremblay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 11:23:08 -0500
What was the result of the discussion thread on a FAQ devoted to biting?  I
think people were against the idea for fear of highlighting the facts that
some ferrets bite.  But I am not sure if somebody voluntereed to write one
or not.  I think it would be an EXCELLENT idea to have an entire SECTION OF
FAQ devoted to biters.  It would be less obviouss to ferret opponents than a
FAQ by itself and such information is badly needed.

I know first hand.  I adopted two bad biters.  One, Mukluk, is very
possessive and still bites whenever I clean the cages (hers or the other
ferrets) and refill bowls or gets too excited when she plays... I hardly
ever handled them with gloves because I am too klutzy, even with bare hands.
They improved a lot but I am sure not many people would be as tolerant as
me.  I have stopped counting the number of times I was tempted to wring
their neck or hit them (and no!  I do not hit them...) I am surprised they
have not damaged a tendon or a nerve because I got over the years some deep
bites that were bleeding quite a lot.

Lately the worst bites I got was when I separated fighting opponents.  Even
my most gentle ferrets bite me by mistake when they jump to bite my hand
instead of the ferret I just pulled from the fight.  We got two foster
ferrets that we are integrating to 3 from our gang.  I do not intervene
every time.  Boum Boum, my deaf ferret, P=E9p=E9e and Piccolo screams to the
top of their lungs even if they are not biting or getting bitten.  I
sometime split fights to reduce stress to the older ferrets: the one with
insulinoma and the two ferrets with thinner coats.