From:
Billy Ramos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:30:55 -0700
Melanie Wrote:
>My 1 year old girl, Daisy, has an overabundance of earwax.  When I clean her
>ears they are dirty again the next day... I took Daisy to the vet thinking
>it could be earmites and the vet didn't find any....  Her ears also smell
>terrible!  They seem to hurt because she doesn't even want my hands near
>them.  Could she have an ear infection?

I can almost guarantee you that you lil' fuzzy has a yeast infection in her
ear. I am a Certified Veterinary Technician at a animal clinic and see ear
problems every day. And what it sounds like, from the description of how bad
it smells and that her ears seem painful, is actually an overabundance of
yeast in her ears, not wax.  Other signs of a yeast infection include: red,
irritated skin and blood.  I am surpised that your vet didn't test for yeast
when you went it, especially if it smells bad.  I suggest that you take
Daisy back in and have her checked for a yeast infection.  If the doc does
find yeast, most vets treat them with a daily ear-cleaner and a med called
tresederm.  You might need to clean her ears twice daily and apply the meds
in both ears after the cleaning, but it's well worth it.

Good Luck and Dooks to all!

Jennifer  Coyer CVT