From:
Elton & Nancy Sanders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 13:13:54 -0400
To the person who has a loaner of a blind ferret (his wife left him)

Treat a blind ferret as you would any other ferret.  Ferrets don't seem to
relie on sight as much as other animals do.  I had one with catracts in both
eyes and she could chase the cats and her toys along with the rest of the
gang!  You can move the furnature around.... my house frequently get
re-arranged.  You do need to train him/her to come to a specific sound like
a squeky toy or whistle.  When the ferret comes to you, award it with a
treat and praise.  My blind ferret, Argento, would come running at the sound
of the squeeky toy.  She would even run over the cats <GGG>

When I got my 3rd ferret, Argento hated him!  But she finally got used to
the big stinker.  However, sometimes she would scream and cuss him.  When I
check out the problem, I would usually move the big boy so Argento could get
in the hammock or sleep sack.  Actually, all she really had to do was walk
over him.  Guess she was just trying to maintain her position as alpha ferret.

Argento developed cancer and died at the age of 6.5.  She was from Pam
Grant's shelter.  I still have her buddy, Hershey and the "big stinker"
SuperSnooper.

Nan