From:
Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Sep 1997 00:04:32 -0400
WARNING - full spectrum lighting will NOT CURE adrenals - only postpone them
or help the healing go faster.

Adrenals are still most likely a genetic thing, and improper food and
lighting will bring them on at a younger age, but proper diet and lighting
will not keep adrenals from happening.  Only proper breeding, with proper
lighting, and sound diet, will keep adrenals at bay.

I've successfully halted/reversed signs of adrenal disease in several
ferrets with proper nutrition and lighting, but all I have done is postpone
the inevitable, maybe by as long as a year or two.  There are still MANY
ferrets who have adrenal disease with no signs of fur loss or hormone
related problems who are found to have affected adrenal glands when
undergoing other surgeries.  These ferrets are housed with good diets and
proper lighting - they still have the genetic disposition to develop
adrenals.

Some may wish to consider the lighting issue a good thing to have improperly
balanced because it will bring adrenal disease on as a visual issue that
requires resolution.  If you don't see your ferret losing fur, you won't
notice him slowing down as time goes by.  Just ask any ferret owner who has
the adrenal surgery done - the pick me up is amazing after surgery.

Please do not take this lighting issue as a cure - it is only a band aid.

Thank you for hearing me out.

Pam grant - speaking from experience, not as a medical practitioner.