From:
Mary and Modern Ferret magazine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 12:48:39 -0400
Mark,

It sounds very much like what Marshmallow just had removed.  A mast cell
tumor (benign, as most are).  We first thought it was a bite or scratch from
one of the other ferrets (he must have scratched at it, causing a little
scab).  It healed.  But then it came back.  It was just removed & the biopsy
came back mast cell.  He gets the stitches out in a couple days.

Although I'm not a vet, I personally would have the spot removed & wait to
see how Sammy does.  Mast cell tumors spread if left unchecked.  Sammy
*could be* developing tumors on other parts of his body (thus scratching &
causing hair loss).  Or it could just be high histamine levels.

BTW, our vet was able to remove Marshmallow's mast cell tumor under *local*
anesthetic (it was a very small spot).  Marshmallow had some stuff to lick
while the vet was doing the procedure.  Not all ferrets are as laid back as
Marshmallow, though (Ralph, for example would never tolerate it).

 ***
Am I missing something or is it impossible to "feel" enlarged adrenals (thus
the ultrasound & UTenn panel)?  If a vet could simply feel the adrenals, why
would we need other tests?  Why would we need to do exploratory to discover
the problem?  Any vets care to comment on this?

Not to be niggling (OK, it is to be niggling), but I keep suffering little
winces whenever I see references to adrenals as "cancer." In the vast
majority of cases it is not a malignant growth.  It isn't even a tumor.
It's hyperplasia, which is not a tumor or cancer.  (I feel better having
said that.)

Anyway, I hope Sammy feels better.

Mary & the Slinky Seven

Mary R. Shefferman, Editor
Sabrina, Ralph, Marshmallow, Knuks, Trixie, Bosco da Gama, & Balthazar,
Ferrets
MODERN FERRET Magazine
http://www.modernferret.com