Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 29 Aug 1997 13:39:48 +0400
On Fri, 29 Aug 1997 Rose Smith (as LOS-PA) wrote to the FML:
>... chat with my USDA agent.  During our conversation he brought up
>"imported" ferrets.  In particular he mentioned the Swedish (also known to
>many as Angora) ferrets.  It appears they are very nasty and MANY bite cases
>are being reported to CDC and APHIS.

Based on my experience with rescues of Swedes and conversations with Angora
owners here in MA, I'm not sure how far I would agree with the implied
message that there is something intrinsic in these Swedish imports that
makes them vicious biters.

They ARE more nippy and rambunctious (and larger) than Marshall Farms
ferrets.  But vicious?  I'm not sure.  The people I know who have Angoras
who bought them when they were less than 12 weeks old (and therefore not in
a pet store so long) or had them shipped at a young age (less than 16 weeks)
from Quality Ferrets, are generally pleased with their temperaments.  They
do report that they needed more training than the MF ferrets.

Over the last six months, we've rescued two pairs of Quality Ferrets (still
had their paperwork, but not Angoras).  Both pairs had been shipped from
Florida to owners with no prior experience with ferrets, and both pair were
older than 4 months when shipped.  Both owners surrendered the ferrets
because they were incorrigible biters and the owners were afraid to handle
them.

At rescue, they really seemed to crave handling, and attempted to but did
not bite the rescue workers.  However, they did inflict severe bites on vet
techs at their first veterinary exams, when the otoscope was inserted in
their ears.  Both pair served time in quarantine (thank goodness we're in
MA).  All four ferrets were treated for VERY SEVERE EAR MITE INFESTATIONS.
After two weeks of Ivermectin treatment, they were ALL very nice little
ferrets who really craved human interaction.

The New Hampshire folks could provide more (and more accurate) detail on the
case of several Quality Ferrets Angoras in a Nashua pet store.  My
understanding was that out of a shipment of 20?  kits, very few were sold
within a couple of weeks.  They were certainly nippier than the MF kits also
sold at the store.  After about of month of NO HANDLING by the store
personnel and bloodied customers, the Angoras were moved to a small cage in
the store's isolation room, and only fed and watered occasionally.  So, of
course these ferrets were pretty "vicious" by the time the New Hampshire
folks were able to rescue them--when they were about 6?  months old.

It's my opinion that with these Swedish ferrets, as with ANY non-Marshall
Farms ferrets, early and proper and frequent handling is the key to their
temperament.

Maybe it's true that first-time ferret owners should probably not get these
animals unless they are prepared for a little nip and to discipline that
nip.  People shouldn't get ferrets period if they are not going to handle
them.

Maybe Quality Ferrets should screen the people to whom it ships these
ferrets more carefully, as many other smaller breeders do (who have the
advantage of seeing the purchaser in person), and to warn them about that
these ferrets are more vigorous than your average pet-store ferret.  Lars,
if you're reading this, please be advised that neither of the two owners
mentioned above even looked at your pamphlets.

I also urge that everyone with a biter have them checked for ear mites.  7
of the 8 bad biters I've rescued over the last year (including two of the
Swedish ferrets) had severe mite infestation or abscesses in the ear; and 6
of those 7 became very nice ferrets after treatment and probably two weeks
of the most loving handling than they'd had all of their lives.  The seventh
had other severe and advanced health problems and was eventually put down.

My evidence is anecdotal.  I would be interested to see the CDC and APHIS
reports on these ferrets.  Do they include case descriptions?

I would also be interested in whether other rescues' experiences with biters
had the same results as mine.  Ear mites?  Ear infections?  Lack of handling
as kits?

Not saying this as a flame, Rose, but I think that if we villainize an
identifiable group of ferrets, we might overlook the bad handling (lack of
handling, lack of vet care) that leads to problem ferrets, whatever their
origin.

-- Lee