From:
Jackie Decarlo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 1997 23:17:43 -0500
Only posted a couple of times but am glad this post has a positive outcome.
Please, please if you haven't started already please get a noise that your
little fuzzy will come to. Cannot stress enough how important this will come
in handy when ferret proofing doesn't work.  We have a sqeaky toy that we
train Taz to come to when it's bedtime or if we haven't heard from her for a
while and get worried. Here's my story.... I was upstairs in the sewing room
when my husband said he was leaving Taz out. He had asked me to close the
doors upstairs like we always do except one room that she gets under the
door anyway so might as well leave it open.  Besides, it empty since my son
moved out. Well, about an hour later when I was taking a break I wanted to
play with her so I rattled the doors upstairs and ran some water in the tub
(that always gets her attention even when she's sleeping). NOTHING!!!!!.
Went looking for her and noticed she wasn't downtstairs either. OH, OH...
Heart racing now because its raining and dark--11pm.  Then I noticed the
back patio door was open, no problem except the screen had a tear in it and
that was how she made her escape. Well, I go racing to get my shoes on and
find a flash light (can never find it when your not thinking straight).
Between squeaking the toy and flashing the light all over the place plus
getting all the dogs barking (that went over well with the neighbors but at
the time who cares, all I wanted was to get her back safe and sound). Went
up and down the back street and our street then decided to go back to our
deck. Was heading to look under the deck when my husband squeaked his
squeaker (we have more than one) and sure enough who comes sneaking out of
the mounds of stuff stored under the deck but you know who. Talk about tears
turning to laughter. All I could do was hold her and tell her how much I
loved her (talk about an adult turning to a quivering mess). Needless to say
she got a bunch of hugs and kisses from the rest of the family plus her
favorite--you guess--raisins. I hope that if you do not have a noise your
ferret will come to please get one and train them right away, it may save
their life. Sorry this is so long but you can only imagine how glad I am
that this turned out to be a good post and not dealing with a tragedy like I
hear about so often. I HAVE TO THANK THE FML FOR SAVING TAZ BECAUSE THIS IS
WHERE I LEARNED HOW IMPORTANT IT IS HAVE SOMETHING YOUR LITTLE ONE CAN
RELATE TO. THANK YOU.... And thank you "BIG" for having this so people can
learn about ferrets.

Jackie (happy mom)
TAZ (but Mom, there was so much stuff still waiting for me to play with till
you made all that stupid noise and got the dogs barking)