From:
Margaret Merchant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Aug 1997 22:13:10 -0500
Hi Everyone,

It is getting close to a very special anniversary of mine, special for a
variety of reasons, some very close to my heart.  But the biggest thing is
the day that the Pookster came into my life.

For the new folks out there, Pookie Bear started life as White Fang, a
ferret in Calgary.  She needed surgery for her rubber consumption and Trish
Curtis, of Ferrets First Shelter, started a fund raiser on the FML to get
this little one the much needed surgery.

After White Fang's surgery, she was nursed and loved by Monica Istvan in
Calgary.  Monica is a funny, great woman who I have had the pleasure of
knowing.

I got involved by asking the resident crazy person and world traveller, Bob
Church, to bring White Fang into the U.S.  when he went north to museums
last summer.  He had a roomie with White Fang for awhile in Oregon and then
was supposed to bring her towards Texas or New Mexico.

For varied reasons, Bob brought White Fang directly to me, instead of
delivering her to Trish.  I honestly don't remember the day, as he showed up
at his usual time, dark.  And I didn't get any sleep after he showed up, too
busy ooohing and ahhhing.

So this wonderful little dark eyed white ended up with me in a very round
about way.  She is a special child, partially deaf, very smart and very
bonded to me.  She licks my feet, kisses me when I rub her tummy and loves
any and all kinds of food.  She follows me everywhere.  We love each other a
great deal and she always comforts me when I am down.  More than any other
ferret here, and I do have some lovers.

Yes, I renamed her Pookie Bear.  She is such a cuddler that White Fang just
didn't fit.

So thanks Trish for your valiant efforts on her behalf, thanks Monica for
taking in the little heathen and teaching her sign language, and thanks Bob,
for bringing so much love into my life.  I cannot express how much she has
meant to me.

Maggie Mae, eternally grateful