Justin & Deana Beek <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Aug 1997 07:08:48 -0500
Ideas for people wanting to build their own cage:

I just built a new cage for my 5 ferrets and came up with a design that so
far has worked really great for me.  (It keeps messes contained in the
cage!) We purchased plastic dropping pans from Jeffers (They are 2 X 2'
plastic square pans).  We built a 3 level structure out of wire and put the
plastic pans in as the floors.  They are removable and the whole tray, mess
and all, can be taken outside to be hosed off or cleaned.  Each level has a
litter box and hammock and to allow access to each level we attatched a 1
foot wide section of stairs.  The front part of the cage opens completely up
to allow removal of pans and access to the stair area in case any messes are
made.  There is also a smaller door on each level to allow fast and easy
access to the ferrets and for feeding.  There are wheels attatched to the
bottom of the cage so it can be easily moved and it sits low enough to the
ground that the door to the bottom level can be left open to give the
ferrets free access to litter box, food & water during play time.  The
dimensions of the entire cage are 2' deep by 3' wide by 4' tall.

So far I have also had a much better hit rate in the litter box than in the
larger cage I had before.  Just wanted to share the news with everyone. :-)

-Deana-
Bear, Bandit, Gizmo, Rascal, & Nibbles