From:
Tryntje Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Oct 1997 16:47:28 -0400
Hello all.

I have been trying to write Laura, who asked about her Jasper.  The message
keeps bouncing back so I am replying through the FML.  You are welcome to
read it too if you so desire.  It has to do with having a deaf ferret.

Hi Laura.

I read your post yesterday about Jasper and I thought that my message last
year had somehow repeated on the FML but with your signature on it.  We have
a blaze male named Jasper who is deaf and I wrote a post to the FML that is
almost identical to yours, including the subject line.  Apparently it is
quite common for a blaze to be deaf.  We noticed all of the things that you
did and many more things since then that confirmed that he is deaf.  I treat
him a little bit different in that I know he can't hear what I say (but I
still talk to him) so I tend to be more physical with him.  He has gotten so
he just loves smooching with me.  He smootches me and I smooch him back and
it becomes a real love fest (I not only kiss him but more so I give him a
good rub down with good petting sessions - he loves a tummy rub and
especially under his chin and he loves to rub himself on me too) and if I
put him down he just runs back for more.  He used to be somewhat of a nipper
but he has learned to give good kisses without biting my face.  Just be
extra kind and physical with him.  Every ferret is different just like every
person is different so he will respond differently to different things.  He
may not enjoy the physical part.  There may be something else that he
particularly likes.

Good luck with your Jasper.

Tryntje Miller                   Net:[log in to unmask]
Conrad Grebel College Library    Tel: (519) 885-0220 ext. 239
Waterloo, Ontario                Fax: (519) 885-0014
N2L 3G6