From:
Courtney Jeanette Scholl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 15:58:45 -0400
Hi allm
I have a question regarding ferrets and rats, specifically, hairless rats.
Does anyone know of any diseases/ viruses etc.  that ferrets could carry but
not be affected by but that could cause death in rats.  I recently took in a
little 5 week old hairless rat from my parents.  He lived about a week in my
apartment.  I have no idea what happened to him but it looks like he died in
his sleep.  MY parents still have his mother and one of his sisters and they
both appear normal.  My mom has offered my his sister but I am reluctant to
take her if his death was related to the ferrets presence.  They never
touched each other but there was one encounter at less than 5 inches.

Thanks,
-Courtney