From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Aug 1997 04:06:27 -0500
Sorry for not responding to any mail for the last few days; if you have sent
something, please resend it.  I crashed the 'pooter real bad and had to
reinstall everything because of a nagging bus error that kept crashing the
machine.  I couldn't even open the disk when starting from another disk.
Apparently, Andrew was looking at some PC stuff using Soft Windows, and
introduced a nasty virus.  The real nasty part is I finally got my System 8
running smoothly, and now have to reconfigure everything.  The really bad
thing is, I had downloaded all the mail for the last few weeks, and it went
to ether heaven when I reinitialized.  Andrew was very sorry, so let me win
in Monopoly to make up for it.  If you sent mail, assume it is long gone.

Just to set the record straight, I've *never* had a virus using the Mac;
three times my machine has been infected with PC viruses while using the DOS
card or soft windows, and this was the worst.  Oh well, if PCs didn't exist,
how would we know Macs were sooo cooool?  PCs were invented so we would know
Macs were so good.  Just like the Fish and Gestapo.  They were invented so
we would know how important fiber is in our diet.  Maybe each one of us
should each send a single Fleet's to the Sacramento Office....

I remember being asked about Foster's sudden blindness, and I have to say it
probably wasn't sudden.  Both of his lenses has become quite cloudy, so the
process was probably quite gradual, and until they were cloudy enough to
see, I didn't notice.  He can see some, but I don't think it is very much.
This is a great example of what I was mentioning earlier about ferrets being
scent-oriented rather than sight-oriented like cats or dogs.  Foster was
going blind, and none of his behaviors changed; none.  Once noticing the
change, I realized he was doing more sniffing, but other than that, it is
barely noticable.  What an amazing animal!

I want to thank a *very* special FML member who sent me a special gift this
weekend.  It arrived Saturday, and the contents came through quite well,
with no problems.  I want to take you very much because the gift was quite
valuable, and I would do so via email, but I lost the address with the
computer crash.  Can you please write me again so I can thank you properly?
I'm sure you know who you are.

When I came home, Elizabeth had a gift waiting for me, to make me feel
better about the car.  It is a metal "highway" sign that has three
black-footed ferrets on it with the legend "Ferret Crossing." I've seen
similar signs before, but not like this one.  She said she got it at The
Nature Company for a reasonable price.  The sign is part of the "Crosswalks"
series by Atlas Screen Printing for those who are curious.

Bob C and the 21 MO Wascully Weasels