From:
"Valori K. Blank" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Aug 1997 09:19:46 -0500
>From:    Sally Childs-Helton <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cage Safety Warning!
>I've recently heard of three cases in which ferrets were injured while
>being kept in the large (4 ft.) Midwest "ferret" cages. [...] If you have
>one of these cages or a cage like it, PLEASE carpet the shelves.

Agreed - not only can the shelves be dangerous, but my ferrets really didn't
like them, and they are too small to be useful.  Also, although I have never
heard of injuries on the ramps, I used to worry about them too; the slots
between the wires are big enough to get a fuzzie's foot caught in, and
falling could then break a leg.  My guys had trouble using the ramps when I
first got the cage and would tumble down them, so it seemed like it could
happen.

However, it only took me ~$40 and a few hours to convert the cage into
something more ferret-friendly.  I got a sheet of (...ummm.. what is it
called... ) pegboard(?) [You know, that thin particle board with holes in
it :-)], and some long peices of wood about 1 inch wide that look like they
are supposed to be used to face shelves.  [See, this is proof that even
someone clueless about hardware can do this project!  ;)] I cut one
almost-full-length shelf and two 6 inch wide "steps" out of the pegboard,
and wood glued the thin peices along two of the sides jutting out a bit so
that when the shelf is in the cage they rest on the metal frame and hold the
shelf in place.  I then used a hot glue gun to cover the shelves with soft
fake sheepskin.  With these three shelves staggered and two large hammocks,
the ferrets have access to the full cage without the need for ramps.  If you
already have a glue gun and a saw the price would probably be ~$25.

Despite it's need for renovation, I still do recommend the Midwest cage.
Around here the cage costs $125 at petstores, which is -far- cheaper than
cages from other places that are less than half the size.  I don't think
I've ever seen a ferret cage for sale that was both big enough with enough
floor space and safe at any price.  Also, the Midwest cage is completely
collapseable and on wheels, which makes it really convienent.  You'd think
by now one of the big cage companies would sell a cage that was actually
ferret friendly, maybe with linoleum or washable-carpeting shelves instead
of wire mesh, but if they exist, I've never seen them.

Maybe someday I'll learn how to weld and then I could -really- make a cage
just like I want... *grin*.

- Val [who wonders what would happen to her apartment if her ferrets
developed wings and opposable thumbs] with Gromit, Gimpy, and Noah in
Madison, WI