From:
Randol Larson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Aug 1997 23:11:15 -0700
>Do pet store ferrets make good pets?

I believe pet store ferrets make equal pets compared to adopted and bred by
ferret owners.  What is better about the ones bred by ferret owners is you
can see how the parent are and their temperments.  I have five pet store
ferrets, four adoptees, and one bred by ferret owners.

>Has anyone encountered problems with pet store ferrets?

I have two ferrets that have birth defects.  One is a Marshal Farms ferret
and one is adopted.  The Marshal farms ferret was going to be tossed out
because he was a dud, so I bought him inexpensively.  He is one of my
sweetest ferrets.  The other ferret is an albino, was bred for size, color,
and definintly not temperment.  He had an awful biting habit that left
scarrs and rips in your skin.  Now he is one of the sweetest ferrets also,
but is mentally retarded.  I had to use scruff the neck and flick the nose
technic.

>Are male ferrets more agressive?

I really cannot tell you much about male ferrets being agressive; my ferrets
are all altered.  I just have heared from other ferret owners on the net,
they can be aggresive in season.  I have had no problems with my male
ferrets and I have noticed that they are more docile than my females.

>What would be an appropriate cage for a single ferret?

I don't think it is a good idea to house a ferret in an aquarium, because
ferrets like fresh air and proper ventalation.  I keep my ferrets in
two-three level cages with PVC pipe connecting them.  They use their litter
box (all but one, almost ten) and sleep in their homade hammocks.  They seem
content.  I think the larger cage that you can provide for your ferret it
the better.

-- Angela Larson [log in to unmask]
http://www.randylarson.com