Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 13:54:06 -0400
Hello everyone, I hope this post finds everyone and all fuzzies well.

I had Louise at the vet last night because I notices a bump near her
"poop-hole" (for lack of a better word).  They did a biopsy and told me that
she has an abscess scent gland which has two options:

treatment with antibiotics - which will only treat not cure, and it may
rupture inside her and she would have to have surgery then

or

surgery to remove the abscessed scent gland as well as a quick exploratory
surgery to make sure everything else is OK.

Well, so far I have opted for surgery because the first option does not
sound too good.  I would rather have Louise undergo surgery once and have it
done and over with rather than watching in fear constantly for the bump to
rupture.

What I would like from you guys (the wonderful people you are with all your
years of experience) are some tips on what to do once she comes out of
surgery.  (She goes in on October 16).  Should I keep her separated from
Thelma just in case, or should I let them stay in their cage together?
Also, can someone send me the duck soup recipe so she can have a nice treat
once she recovers from her surgery.

Also, if anyone knows of any other ideas, suggestions, etc... please send
them to me.  As well, if someone has experienced this could they let me know
what to look for - danger signs, etc... (anything)

I am absolutely terrified of her having surgery, so if someone thinks that
the antibiotics would be better (with backup info please!)  I would be
willing to consider that as well.

Anything at this point is welcome....

Sorry for rambling, but I am at a loss as to what would happen if she's not
all right.

A funny story though about them last night:

Louise must have realized that her mummy was worried about her because she
dooked and ran and licked and dooked some more and chased Thelma absolutely
everywhere for about an hour and a half (poor Thelma hid on my shoulder for
a quick break until Louise found her again!).  I hope maybe this is Louise's
way of letting me know that right now she is OK!!  no pain, no nothing, just
lots of fun time for all of us.

Take care and give all of your fuzzies big kisses, and hugs, you  never
know when something might happen with them ...  last week mine were both at
the vet and were diagnosed as perfectly fine ...

Marion, Thelma (ooohhh, yeah!!  I might get my cage all to myself for a
while!!), Louise (my butt hurts from the needle), JD (hey, how come they
keep going away for awhile in my cat carrier), Oscar, (Yippee, maybe I
finally figured out how to get rid of them!!!)