From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Oct 1997 09:24:09 +0400
On the Tue, 7 Oct 1997 FML,  EP & SD asked:
>I'm just wondering am I the only one that my ferret is going through the
>shedding process on this here FML?

Hi Emily:

You're not the only one with a shedding tail!  Below are my tips for
shedding time--would like to hear from others if there's anything I missed:

1. Give them a cat hairball laxative daily or every other day during the
most "productive" phase of shedding--about a tablespoon will do it.  The one
ferret owners use most often (or at least, most often mention) is Laxatone.
These preparations are basically petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and a malt
flavoring to make them palatable.  My girls willingly eat their Vaseline
straight up :-P When shedding season is over, continue to give them hairball
laxative once a week.  The laxative only prevents hairballs from forming.
Laxative is not a cure for hairballs.

2.  Brush them daily.  Some people use a cat slicker brush, others a flea
comb.  At the end of the season, you will have enough ferret wool to make a
very soft, comfortable sweater for your Barbie.

Mine squirm when I do this, but less so when I put a dab of Laxatone or
Nutrical on my (bare) knee and let them lick it while I brush them.

Angoras should be brushed twice a day during shedding season.

People prone to allergies should probably have someone else brush them if
possible--the fur does fly during this procedure.  If you can't get someone
else to do it, wear a mask.  Brushing is important.

3. Wash their bedding more often than normal ... whatever "normal" is when
you have a ferret.

4.  Watch for signs of blockage: pawing at the mouth, retching, vomiting,
straining at the litterbox without result.  Hairballs often form in the
stomach instead of the intestines, so it is possible that the ferret will
continue to eat and pass some stool until the hairball plugs up the port
between stomach and intestine.

A blockage is an emergency.  If you suspect your ferret has one, get it to
the vet immediately.

5. Don't wear black.

-- Lee, one of the Massachusetts Ferret Friends
For ferret care and adoption info in MA, contact MaFF:
(781) 224-1098  <[log in to unmask]>    http://www.maferrets.org
DON'T FORGET:  The Massachusetts Ferret Friends' HALLOWEEN FROLIC on
Oct.  26!  Email <[log in to unmask]> for details and a ticket order form
ASAP!

-- Lee