From:
Janet O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 10:13:27 -0400
He's here, he's here!!  My foster boy from Kingston, MA animal control.  Deb
(the animal control officer) dropped him off here yesterday.  He is now flea
and tick free.  He still has bumps and itchies where the ticks and fleas had
bitten him, but he doesn't really itch any more than a normal ferret would.
He is VERY skinny and that breaks my heart.  Also, his coat is very bristly
which leads me to think he had a poor diet in his prior life.  Also, on
closer inspection, his nails had not been looked after, but he let me trim
them without anything to distract him...he seems to know he is safe now.

I have named him Newman...he has ears that remind me of Alfred E.  Newman of
Mad magazine fame.  Quite large....probably cause he is so skinny.  He is
wonderful!  For all that this little guy has been through, he is amazingly
forgiving.  He has enormous "joie de vivre"!  He is getting along great with
my five and actually seems to not remember what it is like to have
compatriots as he thinks the kidz are better than ice cream!!!  He is a
world class dancer...runs like the wind and dooks a lot!  Very vocal!  Just
a wonderful little fellow.  He has not even "play nipped" me or Deb or my
hubby.  He rough houses with the other kids, but not biting.  Once he packs
on some pounds I think he will be a real "beaver butt".  He is long and I
think he will be a bruiser IF he is able to put on weight...he seems to eat
and drink good now.  One of his favorite things to do is roll over and over
in the clear tube...like an alligator...kind of a barrel roll.  Very funny
and touching too...he is a very happy guy.

Anyway, to make a long story long, one of our wonderful list members is
coming to see him Sunday.  I haven't her permission to post her name, but
she is making a 2 1/2-3 hour drive from NH to see this guy.  She is bringing
one of her fuzzies to see if they will get along well, and if they do,
Newman will move to the "Live Free or Die" state, quite appropriate for this
fellow!  She is more than willing to reimburse for Newman's treatment, which
leads me to believe he will have a responsible and loving home.  I'm so
thankful to have this wonderful list with all you great people.  It makes me
all warm and fuzzy to think of Newman's future.  I'm very happy.  My hubby
thinks Newman is so cool he asked why we didn't keep him.  I must say, the
thought crossed my mind, but I think I would like to keep a space open in my
home (and heart) for other foster fuzzies...I think that would serve a
better purpose.  Anyway, thanks to everyone who sent warm wishes for Newman,
it's so nice to have a happy ending once in awhile!

bear hugs & ferret kisses!

Janet